Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan is a famous personality of Indian history. He is an inspiring teacher, great philosopher and a politician. He worked as first vice-president of India and as second president of India. Many of us know about him and his inspiring story. However, there are many unknown facts about Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan and we have listed few of such facts here gathered from various sources.
Interesting Facts about Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
- Dr. S. Radhakrishnan when leaving from Mysore university to the University of Calcutta, for joining as a professor he has been all the way to the railway station in a flower decked carriage which has been pulled by some of his students.
- In the year 1946, he was appointed to UNESCO as ambassador and later to the Soviet Union in the year 1949.
- A few month before his death, Radhakrishnan received Templeton Prize i.e., in the year 1975. He has donated all the prize amount to Oxford University.
- Radhakrishnan, with his lectures at the Oxford University took the philosophies of India to the global level and also arranged a platform for facilitating the freedom movement of India.
- He was a much effective diplomat in which he laid for the relationship of India with the Soviet Union which at present is known as Russia.
- Dr. S. Radhakrishnan has presided over the sessions of Rajya Sabha as vice-president. To calm down the heated up ministries during the proceedings, he used to chant slokas from Bible or Sanskrit classics.
- He has been hailed by the Bertrand Russell who was a famous philosopher. After being appointed as the Indian president, Bertrand Russell has congratulated him as the accomplishment of the school of philosophy.
- Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan has formed Krishnarpan Charity Trust in the era of pre-presidence along with Ghanshyam Das Birla and few other social workers.
- His name has been nominated for the Nobel Prize in the field of Literature for 5 consecutive years.
- His first book was regarding the Philosophy of Rabindranath Tagore which he thought was the true manifestation of the spirit of India.
These are the few facts about Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan that everyone should know about. There are many other great things about him that one should know and get inspired from his life story. Knowing his biography would give you a complete view of such great personality and it is very much inspiring too.